A spider vein is one of the most dreaded diseases and many women bear the brunt of the disease. Any woman who has suffered from spider veins on her legs knows exactly how horrible it can be. These appear as red and blue coloured twisted blood vessels. They have a striking similarity with varicose veins but they are smaller in size.
Causes of spider veins
The exact cause of spider veins is not known. Hereditary factors play a major role in this disease.Women are more prone to spider veins than men. This may be due to hormonal imbalances in women. The causes of spider veins are:
- Genetic factors
- Obese individuals are prone to the disease
- Standing for prolonged periods
- Sedentary lifestyle like sitting for hours together and no exercise
- Pregnancy,menopause,puberty may cause spider veins
- Use of birth control pills
- Traumas ,injuries and surgeries can also cause spider veins
Symptoms of spider veins
- The patient may suffer from severe pain in the legs
- Rashes which has close similarity to eczema
- Breakdown of capillaries which may result in brown coloured patches on the surface of the skin
- Formation of ulcers on the skin
- There may be formation of blood clots in the veins
- Burning and tingling sensation in the legs with a feeling of heaviness
Home Remedies for spider veins
You can try out some simple home remedies using ingredients easily available at home
- Vitamin C can help improve blood circulation. This can help prevent spider veins. Oranges have plenty of vitamin C. Therefore eat as oranges daily.
- Castor oil is an anti-inflammatory agent. This oil is, therefore, useful in giving relief from inflammation. At the same time, castor oil is also useful in improving blood circulation. Take a little castor oil and massage the affected areas daily.
- Increase the intake of high fibre foods which will keep constipation at bay and also opt for foods like flaxseeds,chia,seeds,berries etc. Opt for foods that have high vitamin E content. Vitamin E improves blood circulation. Therefore have lots of almonds and green leafy vegetables.
- Ginger is known to improve blood circulation. Therefore, you can opt for ginger tea. Simply add fresh grated ginger to boiling water. Let the mixture steep for few minutes. Strain,cool and have the tea.
- Consuming apple cider vinegar can give relief from the inflammation. Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. To this add honey. Mix and have the mixture in the mornings.
Tips for preventing spider veins
The following tips will be useful in preventing spider veins:
- Apply sunscreen whenever possible as this will give protection from the sun and will also prevent the occurrence of spider veins
- One must strictly avoid crossing of legs because this affects the blood circulation adversely and also damages the veins
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle. Keep moving and exercising as much as possible which will help in improving the blood circulation
- When you sleep or lie down try to keep your legs at a little-elevated position.
- As far as possible wear flat footwear and avoid tight clothing because these too can adversely affect blood circulation.
- If at all you have to stand for a long time then make sure that you are wearing support stockings.
Simple ways and home remedies will surely be useful in preventing and curing the spider veins to a great extent. However in case the condition is worst then you can seek medical advice and go in for treatments like sclerotherapy,laser etc.