We want to look beautiful and young forever. However, erratic lifestyle has resulted in our skin ageing faster. Those fine lines appear very early. Women tend to look older faster than men. Our pursuit to look young has given a boost to anti-wrinkle cream industry.
How anti-wrinkle cream works?
Several anti-wrinkle creams make huge promises of getting rid of the fine lines and boosting collagen formation etc. But remember that these are just over the counter creams. Therefore, there is not much scientific proof about its efficacy. One has to go in for a cream which has the right products for your skin type. The compounds commonly found in these creams are:
- Vitamin A compound Retinol which helps in getting rid of free radicals. It is an antioxidant
- Vitamin C which protects the skin from harmful effects of sun
- Hydroxy acids which act as exfoliating agents. These remove the dead skin cells and make the skin smooth
- Coenzyme Q10 which removes the fine lines around the eyes
- Tea extracts which act as anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidising agents
- Grape tea extracts which have anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidising and healing properties
- Niacinamide which claims to improve the skin elasticity
Select the anti-wrinkle cream which has the ingredients that are ideal for your skin.
The Best part
The best part is to understand whether these creams are really effective or just a marketing strategy used by the cosmetic companies. Most anti-wrinkle creams are found to simply act as moisturising agents. These help in keeping the skin hydrated and supple. This helps in camouflaging the fine lines.
This gives a clear indication that only a moisturising agent might be sufficient. Those who have irregular schedules can go in for added protection like sun block etc. People should also keep in mind that the effectiveness of the cream has got nothing to do with the cost of the cream. So also if a cream has several ingredients surely does not mean that it is the most effective anti-wrinkle cream.
The side effects
- Hydroxy acids increase the skin porosity. This, in turn, removes the protective layer of the skin which usually protects the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun. This increases the risk of sunburn and malignant melanoma.
- Some creams may have ingredients which can cause skin irritation and inflammation. Ingredients like Limonene are carcinogens.
- Remember that most of these compounds like retinoic acid,retinol etc have similar functions. But you must avoid applying them during day time as they breakdown when exposed to the sun and become inactive. Therefore, it is better to apply them at night
- They can disturb the hormonal balance of the body. Therefore, if you are approaching your 30’s then be careful about the selection of the anti-wrinkle cream
- Applying too much cream is not going to give quick results.Overuse of the cream can result in outbreak of rashes and acne.
- In some cases, overuse of the cream has been found to result in thinning of the skin. The underlying blood vessels can be seen.
- Some creams contain ingredients which are photosensitive in nature. They break down when exposed to the sun.
- One may also suffer from dryness of skin and pigmentation
Some of these creams can have horrible side effects. Therefore, it is advisable to use them under expert supervision. It is best to consult a dermatologist before resorting to these products.