The thickened skin in the base of the nail, called the cuticles, can turn out to be very painful if it cracks and if you try to chew it. It is of utmost importance that you take proper care of these cuticles as the wrong steps will make the skin worse. It is important to take proper care of the cuticles so that the nails remain healthy. Cracked cuticles are a result of dehydrated hands and improper diet. People tend to forget this tiny part of the body while tending to the other beauty requirements. Cracked cuticles generally occur during the winter season due to the cold dry air. In other seasons, it may appear due to excessively dry skin or over exposure of the hands to water. This guide will give you all the information you need on the remedies to cure cracked cuticles
Before talking about cuticle care, it is better to know what cuticles are. Cuticles are that part of your skin which sits at the top your nails’ growth matrix. When we think of taking any beauty therapy, it is often noticed that these are the parts of the body we mostly neglect. It is only taken care off when you visit to the salon for the beauty therapies. Basically, this is the thin ridge present at the base of nails, in reality the nails roots are deep down. Here I am going to talk about some of the important facts about cuticles which most of you might not be aware of.
Care and remedies to cure cracked cuticles
Though the cracked cuticles draw your attention all the time and you want to do something or the other to get rid of it, it is not wise to chew or trim these cuticles. Trying to forcibly push back the cuticles will only increase your pain. Avoid direct contact with any kind of harsh chemicals. Here are some easy to access home remedies that will help you get rid of cracked cuticles.
1. Use of moisturizer
The most important tip for healing cracked cuticles is the ample use of moisturizers. Moisturizers for cuticles are found in plenty in the markets. These are found in three forms: cream, wax and oil based formulas. Apply a little moisturizer in the affected parts and rub it. Do this several times in a day, and you will notice a change within a few days.
2. Use of vitamin E oil
Vitamin E oil is very effective in healing cracked cuticles. Rubbing the oil over the fingertips and cuticles and massaging it on a daily basis is recommended. Vitamin E moisturizes the skin and rehydrates them. This will smoothen and rehydrate the cracks.
3. Use of Shea butter
Another very popular product is Shea butter or Shea nut butter which is a natural fat, ivory in color. It is renowned for its properties as a moisturizing cream and an emulsion. Seeds of Shea tree and comes in a range of products such as body butter, hand cream and balms. This will not only repair and smoothen the cracks in the nail cuticles but will also protect the cuticles from adverse environmental conditions.
4. Use of Mahogany
Mahogany is very popular for its various beneficial effects since ancient times. A nail balm composed of beeswax, honey, plant butter and its oil is very effective in curing cracked cuticles. Clean your hands, nails and cuticles and gently massage with the mahogany balm. When the cuticles are still soft, push it back with a cuticle pusher. Make sure to use this balm after cleaning you hands and nails to get better results.
5. Healthy diet
It is a well-known fact that a poor and an unhealthy diet will be reflected in our body some way or the other. To prevent damages to the cuticles, people should take a healthy diet. Reduce the quantity of saturated fats, sugar and alcohol from your diet. A diet rich in vitamins, zinc, lean proteins and calcium will help to get better nails and cuticles.
6. Night gloves
Recently it has been seen that the constant use of cotton night gloves has become very popular in treating cracked cuticles. Put on the night gloves after cleaning and moisturizing your hands, nails and cuticles. The gloves will trap the body heat and keep up the heat of the moisturizer. This will prevent your hands from becoming dry.
Make cuticle care a fixture in your beauty regime
Following are the few tips to protect your cuticles
- Do not cut your cuticles– Cuticles play an important role in protecting the roots of the nails, as they prevent the bacteria from entering into the body. Cutting away the cuticles means you are paving the way for bacteria to invade. You should not cut your cuticles instead push them back with a non-metallic tool such as rosewood stick can always be a good idea
- Do not push back dry cuticles– If you want to push back your cuticles then it is better to do it right after your shower; or you can do it after soaking your fingertips in a bowl of warm water for a couple of minutes as it is easy to push them when cuticles are moist.
- Moisturize your cuticles– Though the cuticles do not give the feeling of soft skin but these are primarily composed of skin and this is the reason why it is essential to keep them moisturized all the time.
Cuticle care is important for the nails and skin
- You should apply a cuticle remover to protect your nails. It’s better to avoid cuticle oil for this purpose. For using the cuticle remover, you can use an orange stick in a circular direction at the base of the nail. In this way it would help in removingthe build up dead skin cells if any and would protect your nails and skin.
- In fact, you should choose the manicure kit carefully. Do not go for nail care products including nail polish removers and nail paintings that are formulated with acetone, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resins as these can cause damage to your nails.
- Also if you have a triangle shaped hangnails of dry skin in your hand then gently trim it off as soon as possible. You can use cuticle clipper, cutter, and trimmer. It is suggested that you should not use these clippers or trimmers if it is not needed. Once you get to notice the hangnails or dry skin carefully then only trim these cuticles. But remember only the dead piece of skin is required to remove hence you should not try to remove the whole skin.
Solution of damaged cuticles
There are different ways that can help you to protect your damaged nails or cuticles:
- Use cuticle oil daily– You can use Apricot cuticle oils on a regular basis so that the nails get nourishment. This is one of the important home remedies to protect your cuticles
- You should be careful of your diet– You should have salmon, eggs, beans, and oats, sunflower seeds, green peas in your diet chart for the nourishment of nails and can avoid cuticles.
- Keep yourself hydrated– Apart from giving attention to your food, you must drink plenty of water because it will help you to keep your cuticles and nails hydrated.
- Keep your nails short– Give your nails a break from the acrylic and keep them short until these become stronger so that these can avoid future peeling and splitting.
Get the best solution of your cuticles by home-made manicure
File the nails– While removing nail polish, first you file your nails and give them a proper shape. It would protect the nails and prevent in splitting and breaking.
Use your thumbs– It is often noticed that while you are polishing your nails; the polish spread out around the cuticles. For cleaning that area; use an orange stick and clean it gently. This will help to take away the excess lacquer away and can help in cleaning that area.
Pucker up-After coats of nail polish that you have applied on your nails it is always better to keep them dry. For this it is better to use poker.
Manicure of your nails and cuticles
We are living in a fashion conscious world and the fashionable ladies follow the glamour and style of their latest trend. Manicuring is a part of fashion in which they give shape to their nails, keep the nails in the same length, and protect their nails etc.
Summery on remedies to cure cracked cuticles
Cuticle care is essential for the healthy and beautiful nails. If you maintain the nourishment of the nails in a proper way, you can avoid cuticle problems and can give them a bright look. To look good, you have to feel good. Follow these simple remedies to cure cracked cuticles religiously to get rid of the cracked cuticles. Do not keep your hands dry; and remember that moisturizing is very important for the prevention of cracked cuticles.