The women folk have been applying varieties of scrubs as per the demand of their skin type since ages. In the present arena where women are more particular about the quality of product they use, there is much more emphasis on the usage of harmless products for beautifying their outlook. Non-chemical home made scrub can be be recommended for women with skin allergies, acne or dryness. Salt and sugar scrub is an incredible substitute for chemical scrubs which serves the same purpose harmlessly. It is a wonderful scrub to try. You can make this homemade body scrub out of basic ingredients yourself.
Complexity level: Easy
Time Required: 10 minutes
- A bowl and a spoon
- Sugar or salt
- Loofah mitt
- You can either use salt or sugar for this body scrub. Sugar makes a gentle scrub and it is better for sensitive skin type. While selecting sugar or salt make sure that it contains small granules to avoid wear and tear on your skin. If your skin is very prone to allergies and rashes you can choose dark brown sugar for making your scrub.
- To make the base of the scrub select an oil. Your choice can be anything between extra virgin coconut oil, baby oil, vegetable or almond oil. In case your skin is very dry you can use more dense oil types like olive oil or avocado oil.
- Mix two parts of sugar or salt to one part of oil in a bowl. Stir it with a spoon. Most probably the salt or sugar will not mix completely in the oil hence there is nothing to worry if it is what you observe. Unlike water oil with a greater density does not allow sugar or salt to dissolve completely .
- You can mix essential oils in case you want your scrub to be aromatic. Mix it in the bowl and stir it well.
- You can use loofah mitts or your hands for the application of the scrub. Apply the scrub while bathing to avoid mess. The scrub works better on dry skin so do not touch water before applying it. You can use little water in case the base becomes less slippery as the oil gets absorbed in your skin.
- Pour one spoon of the scrub in your palm and rub it first in between your palms. Make sure you do this carefully so that the mixture does not drip side ways. Now apply the mixture all over the body in a circular motion. Gentle application with circular motion allows the oil to get properly absorbed. Scrub less on the soft skin areas like neck, stomach and chest. Spend more time scrubbing on the rough areas like soles, elbows and knees. You can also use some lemon to get better results for the rough skin areas.
- After applying the scrub well on whole body, rinse thoroughly.
- Pat dry your skin after you have washed down the scrub properly. The salt or the sugar that you use in the scrub exfoliates your skin and the oil re-hydrates and moisturizes it. Once you are done with the scrubbing you will not require any moisturizer after bathing for sure.
Q: Can the scrub be stored?
Ans: The salt or sugar scrub is in a preserved form. The oil content of the scrub makes it easy to preserve. You can store the scrub in an air tight bottle. Keep the container in a cool dark place. You should not leave water content in the scrub if you are planning to store it or else it may get spoiled. Do not store for more than a week to receive best results.
- If your skin is very sensitive then you should use this scrub with brown sugar as the ingredient instead of plain sugar or salt. Brown sugar is comparatively soft and apt for sensitive skin.
- You can add essential oils in order to make it aromatic according to your choice.
- You should always pat dry your skin after applying the scrub.
- Rinse the scrub thoroughly to avoid stickiness.
- Select the salt or sugar with small grains. Big granules can tear off the skin while scrubbing and so it is a strict no no.
Things to watch out for
The oil used in the scrub can stick to the bathtub bottom. Remember to clean it up so the next person who gets in doesn’t slip.