Living a healthy lifestyle is crucial for both your physical and mental health. But with so much confusion about what constitutes “healthy,” it can be tough to know where to start.
There’s no magic formula for staying healthy and happy, but there are a few things you can do for long and prosperous life. Below are five things you must do, including some self-love tips, to make sure you stay happy and healthy.
1. Follow a healthy diet
Fuel your body with good stuff! Eating a healthy diet is important not only for your physical health but also for your mental well-being.
Eating nutritious food gives your body the energy it needs to function properly. You think more clearly, have more energy, and feel happier.
Conversely, when you eat junk food, your body feels sluggish, and your mood suffers.
So, to stay healthy and happy, eat nutrient-rich foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Limiting sugary drinks, unhealthy fats, and processed foods is also important.
By making smart choices at mealtimes, you can stay nourished and energized physically and mentally.
So whenever you’re reaching for a snack, think about how it will affect your body and mind. Choose foods that will nourish you, both inside and out.
2. Stay hydrated
Water is essential for life. The human body is made up of 60% water. Also, every single cell in your body needs water to function properly. And even modest dehydration can impact your mood, energy levels, and overall health. That’s why staying hydrated throughout the day is important – especially when we’re active or exposed to hot weather.
But that doesn’t mean you must guzzle down gallons of water daily. Most people can easily stay hydrated by simply drinking when thirsty and eating plenty of foods containing water (like fruits and vegetables).
However, there are situations where it’s especially important to stay on top of your hydration:
- When you are exercising: Whether going for a run or hitting the weights at the gym, your bodies need more water to keep things running smoothly. Make sure to drink before, during, and after exercise – and carry a water bottle when exercising for more than an hour.
- During hot weather: Hot weather can quickly dehydrate you, so it’s important to drink more water than usual when the temperature rises.
- When you’re sick: When we have a cold or the flu, our bodies need extra fluid to stay healthy and fight infection. Drink lots of fluids (including soups and broths) when feeling under the weather.
Staying hydrated is key to staying healthy and happy, so drink up!
3. Get active
Getting active does not mean lifting weights or running a marathon. Even small changes make a big difference. These include:
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Parking a further away from the store’s entrance.
- Walking with a friend or joining an exercise class can make getting active more enjoyable.
Regular physical activity offers the following health benefits:
- reduced risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes
- lowered blood pressure
- improved mental health and mood
- reduced stress levels
So get up and move – your body will thank you for it! The Department of Health and Human Services suggests completing a minimum of 150 minutes of physical activity every week.
4. Manage your stress
Stress can negatively affect your health if you don’t manage it effectively.
When stressed, your body goes into “fight-or-flight” mode, releasing hormones that can raise your heart rate and blood pressure. Over time, this can lead to depression, heart disease, obesity, and other serious health problems.
Good thing there are many things you can do to manage your stress and enjoy a healthy and happy life.
- Take time out to relax and recharge
- Get help from either a mental health professional or any primary care physician if you’re struggling to cope with stress on your own
Don’t let stress get you – manage it proactively, and you’ll be on your way to a healthier, happier life.
5. Love yourself
Fill your life with self-love and watch as your days become brighter and your outlook on life becomes more positive.
Self-love is one of the most important predictors of a happy and healthy life. People who love themselves are more likely to care for their bodies and minds. Thus, they tend to be happier and healthier.
So how can you learn to love yourself?
- Focus on your positive qualities. List everything you like about yourself, both inside and out. Try to think of one new thing you appreciate about yourself each day.
- Be gentle with yourself. Self-love also means accepting your imperfections is part of. You are doing your best, so you must cut yourself slack when you make mistakes.
- Treat yourself with kindness and compassion. Talk to yourself like you are talking to a good friend. By showing yourself some self-love, you can improve your health and happiness.
When you take the time to love yourself, you’ll find that you have more energy and joy to give to the people and things you care about most. Self-love is a powerful form of self-care that can help improve your immune system, fight off diseases, boost self-esteem, and promote overall physical and mental well-being.
Being healthy and happy is simple yet complex. It begins with the understanding that your lifestyle choices determine your health, and your happiness is directly related to your mindset.
To stay healthy, you must make healthy choices in:
- what you eat and drink
- how much you exercise
- how you cope with stress
To be happy, we must:
- see the positive in every situation
- focus on what you’re grateful for
- find ways to connect with others
While many factors are beyond our control, staying healthy and happy is ultimately up to you. By making mindful choices each day, you can create a life that is rich in both physical and emotional health.
Article Submitted By Community Writer