Shaving is a very important part of personal hygiene. Waxing is a common method used to remove the hair on your legs and your arms but many people do not prefer waxing because it is mostly painful. Sometimes, girls borrow men’s shaving cream but they could prove to be harsh on the skin. A much better way is to use home-made shaving cream. Not only is it easy to make shaving cream at home, but also it nourishes as well as moisturizes your skin at the same time. Also by using home-made products, you will be able to save money you use to buy the ones from the stores.
Easy to make at home.
It takes only around 15 minutes to complete.
The most expensive parameter involved seems to be fragrance. Naturally derived and synthetic aromatic compounds can be found to make just about any desired scent. Cost is the primary limiting factor. However, even if you use an expensive fragrance, the cost cannot go too far. You can get most good fragrances for around $0.80.
There are a few essential requirements for making shaving cream at home. Stearic acid is one and lanolin (which is extracted from sheep’s wool and can be a problem for vegans) is also used. Polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate, triethanolamine, petroleum-based oils and lauryl sulfates, and Parabens are the other chemicals used. There are also a few daily ingredients, below is a list.
- 4 tbsp of heavy natural oil (Jojoba would work but sweet almond oil is mostly used).
- 2 tbsp. cocoa butter (not at all expensive).
- 1 tsp. baking soda (freely available in most homes).
- 4 tbsp castile soap (now this is some very awesome stuff with which you can clean pretty much anything. I recommend everyone to try this).
- 1-1/2 cups of water.
- Fragrance (which you need not add if you think it is expensive but again this is what makes your home-made shaving cream smell good).
- Heat up the cocoa butter and almond oil on low in a boiler.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool down.
- In a different pot, add water and low down its heat.
- Add castile soap to the water.
- Give it a touch of honey.
- Add baking soda.
- Mix both the mixtures with essential oils.
- Finally blend the mixture and shaving cream will be finally ready.
Frequently asked questions
Q. So how do I use it?
A: Scoop a little out and mix the cream with a little water to make lather. And you will get it ready in your hand.
Q. What are the different ingredients for?
A: The cocoa butter and oils are soothing and nourishing, while the castile soap makes gentle lather and stops the blades getting clogged up. And the fragrance is obviously to make your soap smell good.
Q. Is there anything I can add to make this better?
A: You can also add essential oils to the mix such as lavender for healing and benzoin for soothing.
1. Donât use any harmful toxins in shaving cream to avoid allergic reactions.
2. For smooth skin, collect your products now and make your own shaving cream.