Oily skin can be really troublesome and is always prone to acne & breakouts. It is hardly manageable too and can make you look dull. So how do you take care of oily skin to keep it dry as well as provide it just the right amount of moisture? No matter what your skin type, the cleansing-toning-moisturizing regime should always be followed. You can however change the way you do them. Hereâs bringing you a few steps for you to follow. Incorporate this in your daily routine to see the difference!
1) Cleansing: Keeping your skin clean is very essential and if you have oily skin, you MUST clean your skin at least twice a day (i.e. if you arenât travelling). It is important to wash your face after travelling to get rid of the dirt & pollution that could have affected your skin. Use a good deep cleanser to remove all that dirt in your pores. Make sure the cleanser does not leave your skin looking too dry, as this will only result in the skin producing more oil. Over washing can do that too. So break free of the myth that the more you wash your skin, the better. A natural cleanser for oily skin would be Kiwi. Giving your face some steam can help open clogged pores too. Applying lemon juice for a few minutes before washing it off; helps but if you experience burning; discontinues it immediately. Try using cleansers that do not contain SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulphate). SLS only produces lather which makes you feel nice, but has a harsh effect on the skin. A highly recommended cleanser for oily skin would be Cetaphil cleanser. It may not have a very good smell but it leaves your skin feeling soft without drying it out too much.
Best cleanser for oily skin: Cetaphilâs Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily skin)
Price and availability: $10 for 16 fl oz (at most drug stores and shopping malls).
- Toning: A toner should be used after cleansing your skin. It helps to close pores that may have opened during cleansing. And if you have exposed your skin to steam, it is all the more necessary that you tone it soon after. Open pores lead to more oil secretion. Toning also makes your skin more firms. However, toners contain alcohol and hence should not be overused. Over usage of toners may result in making your skin too dry.
Best toner for oily skin: Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner
Price and availability: $6.47 for 8.5 oz (on Amazon)
- Moisturizing: Even oily skin needs moisture and itâs important to give that moisture to your skin after toning it. Applying a sunscreen lotion is instead better. It will give your skin moisture as well as protect it from the harmful rays of the sun. The lotion needs to be water based though.
Best sunscreen lotion for oily skin: No-Ad Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Price and availability: $7.42 for 16 fl oz (on Walmart)
Best moisturizer for oily skin: Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer (SPF 15)
Price and availability: $10.99 for 6.0 fl oz (on SOAP)
- Exfoliating: It is important to clear the skin of black heads and white heads to prevent acne. It is equally important to get rid of dead skin. Exfoliating should be done once a week or at the most twice a week for very oily skin. It also depends on the amount of black heads you have. Using a good and mild scrub helps to do so. You can either make one at home or buy one. You can mix 1/2 a cup of sea salt with 1/2 a cup of almond or olive oil and apply it on your face. If you wish to avoid the oil, you can use lemon juice instead. You can also mix raw oatmeal with honey. After taking some of the scrub on your fingers, massage your face with your fingers in a circular motion on your cheeks & chin, horizontally on the forehead & above the lips. Remember to wash your face off in a few minutes.
Best scrub for oily skin: St. Ives Apricot Scrub for Oily or Acne Prone Skin
Price and availability: $3.80 for 6.0 oz (on DrugSupplyStore)
- Facial mask: Masks help to remove the dirt from deep within the pores, where cleansers or scrubs cannot reach. You should apply a mask once or twice a week depending on how oily your skin is. You can make facial masks at home too. Smash one ripe tomato and mix it with 1 tsp lemon juice & 1 tsp plain oatmeal. Apply it on your face for a good ten minutes before washing it off. You can also 1 tablespoon each of yoghurt, lemon & honey and keep it on for fifteen minutes before washing it. Lemon juice serves as a bleaching agent while honey is a good moisturizer & a mild bleaching agent. A mix of both gets your face glowing! It is advisable to use home-made masks over ready-made ones.
Best facial mask for oily skin: Murad clarifying mask
Price and availability: $37 for 2.65 oz (on Sephora)
Not all of us are blessed with great skin but taking a little effort helps to make the best of it and leaves your skin feeling fresh, making you confident!