Together with the care you put for your facial skin every day, it is also essential to pay equal attention to your body. Smooth, supple and healthy body skin is equally important as that of face. If the winter is knocking at your doors and you remain careless about your body skin, then you will surely be experiencing dry, flaky and dehydrated skin added with numerous skin problems. So, investing in a good quality body lotion is a vital part of beauty regime that you must always consider. But in this regard, it is equally important to understand that body lotions that contain chemicals are extremely harmful for the skin. They might cause severe irritation in some with sensitive skin, together with eruptions and reddening. Most of these chemical based body lotions work as magic and give an instant positive effect. But it must not be forgotten that these are nothing but the effects of chemicals in them. After some time, the ill effects on skin become prevalent. Thus, investing in homemade body lotion is always a wise alternative. They are tender on skin and you are saved from the fear of harmful side effects. Learn how to make body lotion in your home.
20 -25 minutes
- Distilled water (or herbal infusion)
- Carrier oil
- Liquid lecithin
- Natural oils
- Bottle with tight fitting lid
- Essential oils (optional)
- Fresh herbs (optional)
1. Create a herbal infusion
Since it is your homemade body lotion, you would definitely like to add one or two herbs that are beneficial for your skin. Therefore, you can settle down for some of the commonly chosen herbs like chamomile, rosemary, eucalyptus, etc. Take a saucepan and fill it completely with a cup of distilled water. Now, put the saucepan on medium flame and drop the herbs you have chosen, into the water. Wait till the water boils and emits steam. When you are at this stage, take a lid measuring equal to the mouth of the saucepan and cover the same so that the stream, which is a byproduct of herbs and water infusion, does not evaporate away.
2. Create the base of the body lotion
At the second stage, you have to create the base of your body lotion. Take a large pan. Pour half a cup of the herbal infusion into it. Further, pour half a cup of carrier oil, such as any extra virgin oils like olive oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, etc. and one teaspoonful of liquid lecithin into it. Use a hand blender and blend all the ingredients together to make a smooth, broth.
3. Enrich your body lotion
When a smooth broth is made from the blended ingredients of your body lotion, you can think of further enriching it. Thus, make it vitamin enriched with the addition of Vitamin E or Vitamin A gel, make it germ killing and antiseptic by adding neem oil, let it contain carrotseed oil fairness factor, put in drops of lavender oil for soothing effect. etc.Once done, further blend well.
4. Work up a cream and store it
At the final stage, when all the ingredients have been added and blended well, pour the mixture into an electric mixer and work up cream. After this, set the cream aside to drop down to room temperature. Finally, put the homemade body lotion into an air tight container, close the same with an air tight cork and refrigerate it or keep it in a cool and dark place.
Frequently asked questions
1. Where do I get the essential oils needed for making homemade body lotion?
A. These oils are readily available in any local crafts store or drug store.
2. Does any herb have a negative effect on the skin?
A. Might be, as herbs are extremely effective alternative medicines. So, consulting a skilled person is always wise.
1. Refrigeration increases the shelf life of home made body lotions.
2. The smooth texture of homemade body lotion is achieved only when it is put in a blender.
3. Avoid keeping the homemade body lotion under direct sun or it might get damaged.
4. The herbal infusion can be replaced by plain distilled water.
Things to remember
1. Many essential oils have adverse effects. So, consult an aroma therapist before adding one to your homemade body lotion.
2. Essential oils can be very fatal for pregnant women and children if used without knowledge.
3. Do not retain homemade body lotion for too long as there are chances of contamination.